Saturday, July 17, 2010

We visited this book last week but this week we also get a little incite into one of the authors. Enjoy.

AETHER AGE ANTHOLOGY

A past remade…

Millennia ago, Greece, Egypt, and other civilizations experienced industrial revolutions beneath a sky that, in a blink of history, burgeoned into life and mystery…

With one intervention to human progress, technological civilizations arose. With one more fantastic change in Nature, humanity broke the bonds of Earth and ventured out into the aether…

Take flight on airships, balloons, and wooden rockets. Soar with winged hoplites, exiled princesses, explorers and philosophers. Witness the struggle for equality, freedom, and power like you never have before.

Aether Age Anthology: Interview with author Jaym Gates

I have to admit, when I first heard about the Aether Age project, I kind of wrote it off. Like so many other things, I’d heard about it on Twitter, when a couple of guys asked me if I would be involved. At the time, I was in California for a week, on vacation, and heading for some major deadlines.

I said I’d try. I wrote four different starts. My computer crashed, I was trying to put out a wildfire in the writing community I was administrating, I was running too tight on the deadlines as it was. On top of that, it’s been established that I don’t play well in other people’s worlds. I’m an unrepentant devotee of massive, detailed worlds, and had several failed collaborative attempts behind me.

A week before the deadline, I took my retired dinosaur of a computer and hammered out a first draft, a second draft, polished, sent it in 2 days before deadline…before the deadline was extended. The editors asked me if I’d be interested in writing another story. Ok, well, if you insist.

The world of Aether Age is difficult to write in, the first time through. Anything dealing with ancient Egypt or Greece is going to be problematic. The sheer level of detail is boggling, and the confusion. Was this ruler male, female, 1st Dynasty or 20th? Add a complex alternate history, and there are thousands of possibilities. It’s like trying to find the one special blueberry in a 5 pound box.

But, it does get a writer thinking. How would technologies change religion? How would airships change economy? How much horror would you get from mixing an unstable, unknown eternity of space with an endless pantheon of gods?

My stories explored the horror. What happens when criminals and monsters are abandoned on a rock, thousands of miles from anything they know, reliant on an atmosphere that goes away every now and then? What are those shadows in the dark? Where did the legends of Hades come from? What new gods would form in the endless depths of space, and how would they be worshiped?

Join me in the Aether, in the Age of Helios, this fall. It will be the adventure of a lifetime.

-Jaym Gates

Explore a history transformed and travel into the heavens to discover what awaits the civilizations of Humanity in…

The Aether Age: Helios

Book One of the Aether Age Codex

See the book at: http://www.Aether-Age.com

Watch the trailer at: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DdoYnhCqtp0&feature=player_embedded

No comments: